Sunday, December 5, 2010

Every Day A Little Death

"I am over things. I will not buy one more thing." These are the thoughts that go through my head every time I walk out of Target with something new. La Roux's latest album to blenders (I have bought two in the course of 6 months). Why do I keep buying?

Being the decedent of a long line of materialists I think I have a genetic problem with buying things. Whether it is yet another black sweater or accessories for my BMW I just buy things when they strike me. Over the past year I have identified this little habit of mine, in fact I think it was right after I bought those Bang & Olufsen headphones. So... Why do I buy? Is it to fill some emptiness in my life?

For some people I know it is all about 'buying happiness', though I am not foolish enough to try to do that. Whether it is power tools, German cars or cashmere scarves everyone has their consumerist vice. My vice got back and forth from clothing and accessories to parts for my car. I think I may have just about the entire BMW accessories catalog, roof rack to canvas seat covers. I buy new things because I start to feel stale when I live with the same things day in and day out. As consumers we are programed to have this urge to constantly acquire the latest and greatest. What if my iPhone could last 5, or even 10 (gasp!) years. Would I keep it for all that time? Absolutely not. There is a new one so I must have it because it is faster and has a built in Swiss army knife.

We are never satisfied and the consumer always hungers for the newest and fastest. Although some might tell you this is bad, I disagree. Yes, there are certainly negative side affects, like debt, but without it we would be our ancestors. Sitting new to a camp fire with our buffalo hide blanket drinking hot water out of a tin mug.

Fight it or make piece with it, but we are all stuck here together so we had might as well start buying.

The lady at Target smiled as I swiped my car to buy a new blender today. Then again, she is only a cog in the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment