Sunday, December 12, 2010

The First Snow/The Verge of....

I was ready to throw my phone right out the window of my 11th floor apartment. Would I have cared if my iPhone's screen had shattered into 500 pieces as it hit the pavement below? Probably not. You know it is bad when caring goes right out the window with your phone, breaking as it hits the street.

Today is Detroit's first real snowfall and I could care less. I used to get all excited to see white flakes accumulating into a world that became clean with with whiteness. This year I am cramming for finals, trying to order Christmas gifts and think about when I will have time to pack before I leave for Pennsylvania in six days. The first snow is lost on my, better luck next year I guess.

All the art and design in the world has no meaning when you are on the verge of a breakdown. Have you ever seen one of those films where the characters live in Architectural Digest houses, drive beautiful cars and wear only the finest clothing--yet their lives are not any more spectacular than yours and mine? No matter how many times I see these kinds of movies I still cannot grasp why if everything surrounding them is so perfect, can they still face the same problems a mere mortal does? Shouldn't having a Eames lounge chair in your living room protect you from all things bad in the world?

I haven't begun this post with intention of relating back to last week, but I think maybe it does simply because it seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life. Things of the world as just that... things. They bare no impact on our interaction with our families and friends; we can all experience the same feeling whether we live in a run-down apartment or a loft in SoHo. So do we buy things in hope of improving our interactions with others (fixing broken relationships and such)? The material world as I see it conflicts greatly with the world of interaction and intellect, why is this?

The snow is continuing to accumulate and I am continuing to ponder how to repair the un-repairable. Maybe if I only... well, that would just be silly, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment