Sunday, November 28, 2010

I Don't Get Around Much Anymore

I have made it through the dreads of Thanksgiving and only three more weeks until I finish up the semester. Now all I have to do is survive and pass all my classes.

I had been invited to join one of my friend's families for their annual dinner which was a very nice and home-like event. We all gathered around her dinner table, said grace, and them proceeded with what seemed to be all American Thanksgiving conversation. The topics ranged from colleges to my family and then to politics. Proving to be a very interesting conversation, especially after our hostess had started her second glass of wine, we talked about Sarah Palin's never ending gaffes and how that could be her biggest problem. Needless to say I think I regret ever having brought up the topic so I doubt that will be 'one the table' (so to speak) next time around.

As much as I thought I'd miss something being away from my family, I really don't feel like I did. I'm sure there were the required quips flying across the table and my grandmother wandering around try to find where my mother hid the silver this year. If everything goes as I am planning (not that it ever does) I will once again be present next year to see the mania and watch that grandma does re-chop the salad lettuce for the fifteenth time. I miss the idea and memories of it but I don't actually miss the activity. This was an experiment and now I know that life can still go on without a full-scale family festival.

Christmas shopping for me is not about spending hours strolling up and down the isles at Neiman's. Having worked in retail for enough time to know how bad Christmas is, I skip right to the computer and only buy last minute items in-store. Who really has all that time to spending buying swaters for their best friend, but deep down knowing that the blinking red nose (batteries not included) is a bit over the top.

December means the end of 2010 and I'll be pleased to see it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment